This is honestly the most ridiculously delicious thing I’ve ever made. I don’t even care, this isn’t even a humble brag. I’m not humble about this. I’m saying, this is the best, easiest buffalo chicken recipe you will ever make.
If you’re like me, and I’m pretty sure you are, we are lovers of all things “buffalo” and all things “takes 5 minutes to put together”. This slow cooker buffalo chicken and you are a match made in heaven.
The easiest buffalo chicken recipe you’ll ever make.
Chicken breasts in the slow cooker are tough because they tend to try out, but the acidity from the buffalo sauce, tenderizes the meat perfectly and what you get is a juicy, spicy [but not too spicy] flavor bomb ready for sandwiches, tacos, pizza, nachos or spooning into mouth. I personally pretty much just spoon this into my mouth. I want to tell you I’m super creative and make tons of cool recipes with this but I literally just eat it with a fork straight out of slow cooker, 90% of the time.
Most hot sauces are actually really healthy, and don’t have a lot of crap in them. Franks, my top choice for buffalo chicken (honestly, my only choice) contains 5 ingredients: cayenne pepper, vinegar, water, salt and garlic powder. And while you could go either way, I REALLY recommend Frank’s Buffalo Wings Sauce over Frank’s Original. When I first posted this recipe, I didn’t know the magic that was Frank’s Buffalo, but now that I know…I know Frank’s Buffalo is what’s up.
This buffalo chicken + ranch dip = heaven
I also love to pair this with my Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip. Dip the chicken and a side of celery sticks right in – YES, my favorite dinner ever. I’d probably add a side of pretzels, too, because I’m obsessed with pretzels, but it’s not the healthiest option in the entire world (BUT NOT THE UNHEALTHIEST, RIGHT?!) Actually kind of wish I had some now as I sit at the airport during a 4 hour layover [just kidding, I missed my flight, lolz].
I’m headed back to the Midwest this weekend to hang out in the back woods of Wisconsin for a wedding. Literally. And it’s going to be 53 degrees, for an outdoor wedding, so I’m probably going to die. I’m just happy to be going out with a bang with this recipe.
OK, let’s talk nutrition. This recipe is mostly protein, with a good dose of healthy fat from the grass-fed butter. I’d add a little more healthy fat – avocado goes REALLY well on top of this chicken + a good fiber source and you’ve got yourself a PHFF meal.
- Buffalo chicken + cheddar + baked tortillas + tomatoes + lettuce = nachos
- Buffalo chicken + Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip + tortillas + side salad = tacos + side salad
- Buffalo chicken + rice + lettuce + pico + Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip = Buffalo rice bowl
- Buffalo chicken + baked potato + Greek yogurt + green onion = potato boat
- Buffalo chicken + romaine leaf + Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip + tomatoes + avocado = wraps + a side of fruit
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1½ c buffalo sauce [recommended - Franks]
- ½ c water
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Lay chicken breast as flat as possible in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add remainder of ingredients.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Shred chicken, then let cook in juice for another 30 minutes (optional).
- Serve with Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip.