How many people in America, do you think, DOESN’T think about avocado toast at least once a day? I might be delusional, but I’m thinking probably…8 or 9?? I’m not a horribly adventurous person in the kitchen, which is why I am a life long lover of avocado toast. It’s why we all love it so much – because most of us are NOT terribly adventurous in the kitchen and nobody got time for a quiche on a Wednesday (or ever).
I’ve been over-posting pictures of my avocado toast creations on Instagram lately, so I wanted to share my newest, healthiest, sexiest creation with you guys. I almost called this “Sexual Avocado Toast” but I’m always less likely to get my recipes shared on community recipe sites when I use “crude language” or name my recipes something ridiculous. *eye roll* But seriously, I was sitting at my kitchen table the other day and my husband yelled across the house, “Megan, stop making sex noises, it’s just avocado toast.” Whatever, dude!!
My go-to “base” for avo toast has always been Thomas Multigrain Light English Muffins. I really like the light English muffins because they have 8 g of fiber per muffin, but it’s added fiber and it’s got a pretty long ingredient list. I’ve been looking for a suitable replacement forever but haven’t found anything I like. Until now.
I present to you – Whole Avocado Toast. I call it this because it really is a “whole”, complete way to start your day. This is truly an ideal breakfast. It’ll kick your metabolism into high gear first thing in the morning, and that really is the ultimate goal for breakfast.
- Dave’s Killer Bread – I realize I’m incredibly late to the party here, but I finally picked up a couple loaves of Dave’s at Costco and WHAT. Where have I been? Have you tried this bread? It’s not real. It’s a subtly sweet, hearty, whole grain bread with a pretty solid ingredient list and 5 g of fiber per slice (and 5 g of protein!). And it makes perfect toast, which is a very important quality in bread. I’m in love.
- Avocado – Avocado is the most delicious thing that grows on this planet, of course, but did you know a cup of sliced avocado has 10 g of fiber? That’s insane. That’s more than almost any fruit or vegetable. It’s also full of heart healthy fats, so the combination of fiber + fat makes this one of the best foods for a healthy metabolism and fat loss. And it’s super filling!
- Tomato – Tomatoes are very rich in antioxidants, especially lycopene, which plays a big role in both bone and heart health. It also adds the slightest bit of sweetness to your toast.
- Egg – 1 egg contains 6-7 g of the world’s highest quality protein and lots of omega-3 fatty acids for brain and heart health. Eggs are considered “the perfect protein” because the protein is absorbed so quickly and used by the body almost immediately, making it an ideal protein to start your day with. And that is why eggs are breakfast foods. The more you know.
- Coconut Oil – Fruity coconut oil may seem like a weird fat to cook eggs in, but it makes them SO GOOD. And they’re full of medium chain triglycerides, which is a super healthy fat that’s great for blood sugar regulation. It’s a major metabolism and energy booster, again, making it ideal for breakfast.
- Lemon – There is not enough lemon in this recipe to do a whole lot for your health but this is the game changer – it brightens the whole dish (toast?) and hey, you can add any leftover lemon juice to your morning water for the detox benefits!
I really believe this avocado toast recipe is the perfect breakfast. It’s full of protein, fiber and healthy fats, it’s filling and it’s a really good way to get your metabolism revved up before you even leave for work. And, it takes about 5 minutes to make, which is really a requirement for breakfast around here. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
- 1 slice high fiber bread (Recommended: Dave's Killer Bread)
- ½ medium avocado
- ½ tomato, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Toast your bread.
- Start on your eggs – melt coconut oil in pan over medium high heat, once oil is hot, crack egg and egg whites into pan and cook until your yoke is to your desired doneness. Season eggs with salt and pepper while it’s cooking.
- Mash avocado onto toast, add sliced tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add egg to toast squeeze a little lemon over the eggs.