I love smoothies because they’re a really simple way to cram tons of nutrients and superfoods into one glass. I sometimes feel like if I just drink a super-smoothie, I can absolutely eat fries the rest of the day. This is not something that I recommend, I’m just telling you what I feel.
Some of the world’s healthiest foods: spinach, kale, avocado, macadamia nuts, chia seeds, berries, coconut, maca powder, and on and on…is what makes the most delicious smoothies.
I do, however, have a bit of a beef with smoothies. They’re cool for a snack, but I feel like I cheat myself when I drink my breakfast. I down a smoothie and I’m like, “GREAT! Where’s my bacon?!”
Green Smoothie Bowls are like bowls of green soft serve ice cream. When I type that out, I guess it suddenly doesn’t seem so appealing, but just think of it like ice cream for breakfast! The best part about Green Smoothie Bowls for breakfast, though, is the toppings. This is where you get to go wild. Some of my favorite toppings are Loaded Granola, coconut flakes, berries, banana, and
dark chocolate chips cacao nibs.This is a recipe that you can really make your own. Here are a couple of ways to turn your favorite smoothie into a Green Smoothie Bowl:
- Add a handful of greens
- Subtract 1/2 cup liquid
- Add a couple extra ice cubes
- Use at least 1/2 frozen banana
- Bonus: add 1 Tbsp chia seeds and use all frozen fruit
Frozen bananas are basically like magic fairy dust for smoothies, as it gives them a creamy, milkshake-like texture. Just do what I do and keep a few cut up bananas in your freezer in a freezer bag at all times. I promise you, frozen bananas will open a whole new smoothie world for you.
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 1 frozen bananas
- 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder [See notes for recommendations]
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of cinnamon & turmeric
- Add Ins:
- Fresh Ginger
- Maca Powder, Cacao Powder, Cacao Nibs, Spirulina, Acai Powder, Hemp Seeds
- Cashews, Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Coconut Oil, Almond Butter, Peanut Butter
- Celery, Cucumber, Carrot, Avocado
- Parsley, Cilantro, Mint
- Frozen Berries, Pineapple, Mango, Apple, Oranges
- And...The Toppings
- Loaded Granola
- Shredded Coconut, Cacao Nibs, Hemp Seeds
- Nuts, Nut Butter, Pepitas, Sunflower Seeds
- Berries, Sliced Banana, Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Gogi Berries
- Soak chia seeds in almond milk for at least 5 minutes. This is your thickener.
- Pile ingredients into a blender. Include your add-ins, if using.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
Recommended protein powders: Go Gnarly Whey, Tera's Whey, Super Vital Foods Grass Fed Whey, Vega Sport, Sun Warrior and Plant Fusion