I’ve been growing herbs in my window this year and have been using them here and there to add to salads or sandwiches, but I finally felt like I had enough basil overgrowth to make some pesto. Well, I didn’t. Not enough to make it worth making pesto, anyway. I got too excited. Sad. But luckily pesto is one of the most versatile sauces one can make in the kitchen, and I came up with something better.
Many herbs are in season, which means they are at their best. Even if you don’t grow your own, this is when they’re cheapest and the most fresh at the grocery store.
This pesto is loaded with fresh, phytonutrient rich ingredients. Let’s take a look at some of the main ingredients in this recipe:
- Basil // rich in vitamin k. anti-inflammatory. heart healthy.
- Parsley // rich in vitamin k & vitamin c. antioxidants.
- Green Onions // rich in biotin [B vitamin]
- Spinach // rich in vitamin k, a, b2, b6, e & c, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, potassium and calcium.
- Lemon // cleansing. anti-inflammatory. alkalizing. rich in antioxidants.
- Cashews // rich in copper, phosphorus and magnesium. heart healthy fats. protein.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil // heart healthy fats.
Make a big batch of this pesto and eat it on….everything.
- Stirred into pasta or rice
- Baked potato topper with chicken, white beans and Greek yogurt
- Made into pesto chicken salad….upcoming recipe teaser….
- Spread onto a turkey or vegetarian sandwich
- Tossed with roasted veggies and/or potatoes
- 1 cup basil, loosely packed
- ¾ cup parsley, loosely packed
- ¾ cup chopped green onion
- ¾ cup spinach, loosely packed
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast OR Parmesan (optional)
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp cashews
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp water [depending on how thick you want it]
- Combine everything in a food processor and process til smooth. Start with 2 Tbsp of water and add more if you need to.
- Eat with spoon.
How do you like your pesto? Comment or share your photo on Instagram or Twitter. I love hearing your ideas!