You guys. The other day I shared my metabolism boosting AM routine.
TRUTH THO. I STRUGGLE with my AM routine. I don’t know why, but I have to like force myself every day to do those things (by the way, I swear my teeth are getting whiter from oil pulling but seriously I can only do it for 5 minutes…hoooowwww do people do it for 20?!).
I stand at the counter and say “OK, Megan, start your coffee….Ok….now chug your water….JUST DO IT. JUST CHUG THE DAMN WATER.”
Ugh, but you know, I’ll do anything for a good metabolism boost so I power through.
Nighttime, however, that’s a little different.
You could give me a shot of morphine, and would not deviate from my nighttime routine.
It’s ENGRAINED in me. I’ll do a full post on my routine later, but today I want to talk to you about a very integral part of my nighttime routine and that is: Magnesium Tea.
I’ve been known to come home after one too many shots of tequila and REFUSE to go to bed without my magnesium tea. You guys, this tea is my RIDE OR DIE.
OK, so, why magnesium tea?? Why not basic-ass Sleepy Time tea like a normal human?
Why Magnesium Tea is a Must
- Nearly all Americans are deficient in magnesium, so honestly, it’s something everyone should be supplementing with daily.
- Magnesium deficiency can cause sleep issues (see where we’re going with this?), migraines, wacky hormones, anxiety/depression, high blood pressure, muscle cramps, and low energy.
- I use a product called Natural Calm (NOT sponsored!! Just really love the stuff), which contains a highly absorbable, water-soluble magnesium in ionic form, so it is ready to go to work right away. If you saw my Amazon Obsessions post, you already know about Natural Calm. A lot of magnesium supplements are not in this absorbable form, so you could still be deficient even if you’re taking a supplement already. You always want to be sure it’s magnesium glycinate.
- Sooo….this tea is like natural Xanex. I drink it and about 10 minutes later I am CHILL. And trust me, I need it, because my general personality is NOT CHILL. So it’s so important for me to attempt to wind down at night.
- I never get headaches anymore (used to all the time) and when I’m taking it regularly, my anxiety is somewhat manageable (lollll). And the best thing is that while yes, it does help me chill and ultimately fall asleep, the best thing magnesium before bed does is help you STAY asleep. Win-win.
- Magnesium before bed keeps you regular. So, like, wake up and poop. This is a v healthy way to start your day (and if you have constipation issues, FOR SURE drink this before bed!).
The other thing I love about Natural Calm is the taste. There’s lots of flavors to choose from, but my fav is Orange. The brand has also come out with Natural Calm Calmful Sleep, which I haven’t tried, but it’s basically Natural Calm on crack. I WILL be purchasing this next time around!
And because I love to just pile in the goodness, I also add a scoop of collagen to my tea. Totally tasteless, but taking collagen before bed means that while your cells repair themselves overnight, that collagen can just go straight to your wrinkles and make them go away forever (this is an exaggeration, but ok, you get what I’m saying).
Seriously though, your body will be able to absorb and use the collagen better while you’re asleep.
And…because I like intense….I add a chamomile or some sort of sleepy time tea to the mix. V V unnecessary, but I like to be knocked out. I NEED to be knocked out. Because I have a very hard time winding down.
So give this a try, and please let me know what you think. I recommend this little concoction to most of my clients, too! Because let’s be real, who doesn’t have sleeping probs!?
So, get into bed, turn your damn phone off, grab a book, sip your tea, and be ready to be knocked out. I also recommend an eye mask – I refuse to sleep without one now.
- 1 bag chamomile or Sleepy Time tea (whatever your fav relaxing tea it)
- 2 tsp Natural Calm (whatever flavor you like)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (I use Further Food)
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 c hot water
- Place all ingredients into a mug and pour hot water over the top. Stir and let steep for a minute. Sip!
Some of the links on this page contain affiliate links. That means, if you purchase something from one of these links, I make a little cash. DUH. I have to eat too, ya know? But I’m not shady, and would never, ever recommend a product that wasn’t amazing and that I don’t already use myself.