I could eat an egg roll every day. Easy. Actually, you could probably take any type of food, wrap it in a wonton wrapper and deep dry it, and I will not walk away.
It’s really unfortunate that egg rolls have to be deep fried, right?
There are no crispy, fried wonton wrappers in this recipe, but there IS all the good stuff that goes inside of an egg roll. You can easily swap out the ground chicken in this recipe for your favorite type of egg roll filling, but I LOVE ground chicken in an egg roll. It’s sort of a flavorless protein, so it just takes on all the good Asian flavors in the dish.
Dinner in under 20 minutes.
For this egg roll stir fry, I use bagged shredded cabbage and that’ what makes it so quick. If you’re not already on the pre-shredded cabbage train, you need to get on it. I just buy the angel hair coleslaw mix that you can find just about anywhere. It’s so versatile and a must for quick dinners. You can throw it into salads for extra crunch, but it also makes a great filler in a stir-fry. It’s sort of like noodles. But not.
I’ve been eating this stuff all week – it keeps great in the fridge and is really good for meal prep lunches or a 15-minute dinner.
Here are the deets –
Protein | ground chicken
Healthy Fat | olive oil, sesame oil, sesame seeds
Fiber-rich carbs | cabbage and celery
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 20 oz ground chicken
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 8 c thinly shredded cabbage (~ 1½ small bags of angel hair coleslaw)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1 /2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil.
- Brown chicken, and add a sprinkle of salt while it's cooking. Once it's about half-way cooked through, start adding the ginger - celery, in order, stirring often.
chickenis fully cooked, add the cabbage. It'll seem like too much cabbage, but it will cook down quickly.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and stir well.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the
cabbageis to your desired doneness (3 minutes if you like it a little more crunchy, 5 minutes if you like it a lot softer).
- Stir in the sesame seeds, and add more on top to taste.
Feel free to add even more cabbage - the more the merrier. Just increase the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil to taste.