Guys, I’ve been miserable about lunch lately. I work from home, so it’s a horrible excuse, but I think that’s my excuse? I just feel like meal prep isn’t really THAT necessary because I’ll be able to whip SOMETHING up. And sometimes I do, but sometimes I feel like driving all the way to Chipotle sounds like a smarter idea (definitely not ever a smarter idea). And sometimes I just mash a hard-boiled egg onto a rice cake.
Confession: Sometimes I suck at meal prep, too.
Yeah, so, before you think my fridge is filled with beautiful Tupperware brimming with delicious goods that I slaved over on Sunday – HA. It’s not. Or at least it hasn’t been. I am not perfect, and my frequent Instagram stories holding a cocktail before 7 pm proves it.
I think it’s just February, ya know? GOD I hate February. Speaking of #God, he definitely knew what was up when he made February the shortest month of the year (because yes, God made the calendar, of course). It’s just the worst. And the weather has even been decent here in Atlanta but still – is it Spring already?!
I am READY for sun. And porch dinners. And patio drinking.
I feel myself turning over a new leaf come March – don’t you? Like just get us to March and we’ll have our shit together.
Don’t worry: I’ve got slow cooker chicken burrito bowls just for you.
I’m gonna help you on this home stretch, though. Don’t you worry. I’ve got slow cooker chicken burrito bowls comin’ at ya. Finally, right? A frickin’ burrito bowl. I only dream about Chipotle chicken burrito bowls every day of my life. But how about one that doesn’t require moving, or $10, or…more than one bowl?
Bowl = slow cooker.
Seriously, the slow cooker is my LIFE. Aside from this recipe, this Thai Chicken and Buffalo Chicken are on repeat in my house because I just can’t seem to get it together enough to cook most of the time.
So, as per usual, everything is just gonna go into the good old crock pot and we’re gonna walk away and when we come back, it’s going to be magic time.
Even I can do that in February.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp each: cumin and oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 c chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1 c pinto beans
- ½ c parboiled rice
- 1 c shredded cheddar
- green onions, cilantro, chopped tomatoes for topping
- Place chicken in bottom of a slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Pour in tomatoes, chicken stock, beans and garlic.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4.5 hours.
- Add rice, stir to be sure it's covered, and let cook on low for an additional hour.
- You may also turn it up to high and cook in 30 minutes if you're in a hurry, but I think the whole thing tastes a little better if you keep it on low.
- Top with cheese, cover and let cheese melt.
- Top with tomatoes, green onions and cilantro.
Swap chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you prefer.
Add avocado for extra healthy fat.