Ok let’s talk potato salad for a sec. Because who doesn’t like potato salad?
It’s so nostalgic for me because I feel like my mom made it for every summer gathering we had at our house. It’s pretty famous – everyone LOVES my mom’s potato salad. (Or maybe I just ate the whole thing – I can’t remember.)
I feel like everyone has a favorite potato salad recipe. It’s just one of those things. Over the years I’ve made a FEW tweaks to Mom’s – I add a little pickle juice and lemon juice because I like mine super acidic and tangy AND I add a few capers. LOVE CAPERS.
Here’s my thing – there’s nothing wrong with potatoes (I eat a ton) but all those potatoes with loads of mayo results in a PRETTY heavy side dish. And while we know that calories are stupid, they aren’t something to completely ignore.
And if you’re like me, you want to indulge in this summer fav pretty much once a week so all those carbs and mayo can be a little over the top. Especially when I’m drinking margs at the pool party.
A couple of years ago I saw Dietitian Cassie’s (LOVE HER) post a Cauliflower “No Potato” Salad (AKA Cauliflower salad) and I was like OMG YES, GENIUS.
So I just used my exact potato salad recipe and swapped cauliflower for the potatoes – DUH, why did I never think of this before?
I cannot get enough of this salad and I wanted to get it to you guys before all your picnic/pool party/family fun over the holiday weekend. Seriously, BRING THIS DISH – people LOVE it and will be so impressed with your delish healthy twist. Plus, then you have an excuse to drink three more cocktails. (bc your side dish is sooooooo healthy)
Make this recipe, or just use your own favorite potato salad recipe! And if you do, I wanna see it on Instagram!!
Your PHFF Stats
PROTEIN: Eggs (but not enough – you’ll want to include a protein source with this!)
HEALTHY FATS: Mayo – use full-fat!!! None of that low-fat shit
FIBER-RICH CARBS: Cauliflower
- 24 oz frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ c mayo
- 2 Tbsp Dijon
- 2 Tbsp stone ground mustard
- ¼ c chopped pickles
- ¼ c pickle juice
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ c chopped green onions (you could any onion here - I just love green onions in this!)
- Make sure cauliflower is totally thawed and drained of any excess water. Blot cauliflower with paper towels and get as dry as possible.
- Combine cauliflower and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo, mustards, pickles and juice, capers, and lemon juice, then add to cauliflower and egg and toss to coat.
- Fold in green onions.
- Eat right away, or even better, chill for a couple hours to develop flavors!