Fried rice – damn, you’re delicious.
I LOVE fried rice. Who doesn’t?? There’s this place in Waukegan, IL, near Andy’s hometown, called Ming Toy that has the best fried rice on @God’s green earth. I literally dream about it.
It’s super fried and greasy and is filled with chunks of beef. IT’S SO GOOD. SO SO GOOD.
And then I wake up the next day with 5 lbs of bloat from all that sodium and grease. NOT cute, but worth it.
Anyways, if you’re waiting for me to tell you that this cauliflower rice tastes just like delicious Ming Toy Beef Fried Rice, this post is about to be a huge letdown. It’s cauliflower rice, ok? Relax.
But, it’s still delicious and it’s full of vegetables AND OF COURSE, it’s easy as hell to make because it’s mostly frozen vegetables.
Let’s also talk about cauliflower rice for a minute. The reason I’m so late to the party on cauli rice is because I was never willing to put cauliflower into a food processor and “rice” it. Like yeah it’s easy and I’m ridiculously lazy but I also hate cleaning that thing.
Then, a few months ago I found it in Trader Joe’s in the produce section. AMAZING. I didn’t think it could be better. Until I went to Costco last weekend and found it IN THE FREEZER SECTION. I had an actual meltdown in the freezer aisle.
So there you have it – in America, we know longer have to rice our own cauliflower. I love this country.
And now I can bring you this cauliflower rice recipe because it’s an easy, no-brainer recipe for people who hate to cook (us!!).
You know what I would probably do with this recipe? I’d double it – make a HUGE batch for the week, not put the sesame oil and Tamari/soy sauce and garlic chili paste in it, and just season it as you go based on what you’re eating. It’s such a yum and easy way to get in lots of veggies and fiber, something that I struggle with on the daily.
Here’s your PHFF breakdown.
Veggie-Filled Cauliflower Fried Rice PHFF Stats
PROTEIN: Egg – and to make this a meal, add a couple more eggs! Ground chicken is also REALLY good in there.
HEALTHY FAT: Coconut oil and sesame oil
FIBER-RICH CARBS: Pretty much everything else in there 🙂
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 c frozen peas and carrots
- 1 c frozen or fresh broccoli
- 4 c fresh or frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic chili sauce (like Sambal)
- 2 Tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- chopped green onions
- Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add peas, carrots and broccoli and saute until fully thawed.
- Add cauliflower rice and stir in to incorporate. If using fresh cauliflower rice, cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Push veggies to the side and crack eggs into pan. Use a spatula to scramble them, then stir into the rest of the veggies.
- Add in sesame oil, garlic chili sauce, Tamari, and rice wine vinegar.
- Top with green onions - I like A TON of green onions, but use as many as you like 🙂