Buffalo. Chicken. Dip. Have sexier words ever been spoken? I live for this stuff. When someone brings this bowl of gold to a party I AM LIVING…and hovering and hording it all to myself.
But you know what I don’t love about it? The fact that it’s pretty much 100% cheese, mayo, sour cream and ranch, which doesn’t exactly say, “I’m feeling sexy in my party dress”. I like saving room for lots of snacks and cocktails at parties, so loading up on the heavy stuff makes me feel bloated and yuck. So something had to change.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken + Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip had a baby.
Basically what I did here was take my top 2 recipes on The Nutrition Addiction, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken and Herby Yogurt Ranch Dip and then had them make the sex and give birth to Buffalo Chicken Yogurt Dip. It’s relatively healthy, FULL of protein and is free of chemicals and preservatives (I’m looking at you, ranch dressing). And, no flavor was sacrificed. I promise. I worked hard on this…food that tastes nasty (nasty in a good way) but it under-cover healthy is sort of my secret weapon.
I have to tell you, full disclosure, that while this recipe was birthed by two of my own recipes, I also got a bit of inspiration from Publix’s Buffalo Chicken Dip from their deli, which is something that I believe was made by God. If you don’t know this dirty little Publix secret, then continue to not know it because you will inevitably eat the whole tub in one sitting, and my Buffalo Chicken Yogurt Dip recipe is much, much healthier and tastes just as great.
Now let’s talk about the recipe for a momento.
- This dip is not baked. Why is every buffalo chicken dip baked? I can’t be bothered with turning on my oven for a snack. Mix it up in a glass bowl and microwave it before serving. Or don’t. Eat it cold. It’s just as good.
- I use canned chicken for a reason. It’s super moist, comes in fabulous chunks just right for this recipe and it’s easy peasy. Just check the ingredients and make sure it’s only chicken + water or broth.
- Frank’s BUFFALO Wings Sauce >>>> Frank’s Original – people, go get Frank’s Buffalo Wings Sauce if you don’t have it. I tried this recipe using both, because I figured most people would have Frank’s Original in their fridge, but the Buffalo sauce made a huge difference in flavor. It’s a must.
It’s a dip, yes, but it’s pretty PHFF! friendly.
Protein: chicken and Greek yogurt
Healthy Fat: cream cheese and mayo
Fiber: all the veggies you’ll dip into it!
There you go. You have yourself a little game time meal. Or a little bedtime snack. Or breakfast. I don’t know you. Let me know what you think! Show me on Instagram if you make it by tagging #thenutritionaddiction.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 c canned chicken breast
- ⅓ c Frank's Buffalo Wings Sauce (NOT Frank's Original)
- ½ c plain Greek yogurt (recommended: Fage)
- 2 T mayo
- 2 t granulated garlic powder
- 1 t granulated onion powder
- 2 T chopped green onion
- For serving
- celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumbers, pretzels, veggie chips, homemade baked potato chips
- Place cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or until soft.
- Stir in chicken, Frank's, yogurt, mayo, seasonings and green onion. Stir well.
- Heat up in the microwave for 30-45 seconds before serving, if desired.
- Top with more chopped green onion.
- Serve with celery sticks, carrots, etc.